7/22/10

Sahra Hassan - Golfer


What is your family background?
I was born in Newport Gwent, raised in Newport until I was 14 then moved to Bridgend where i currently live. I have 2 sisters Ayesha Hassan and Myriam Hassan.
What were your dreams and aspirations as you were growing up?
To be the best lady golfer in the world, not just Europe or Great Britain, but the world.
What is your educational background?
Attended Glasllwch Primary School from age 4 to 11, then attended Bassaleg Comprehensive School for 2 years, then moved to Bridgend and finished off my studies at Bryntirion Comprehensive School. I have 9 GCSE's and 1 AS Level in English.

What is your current job?
Professional golfer, play on the Ladies European Tour and Ladies Asian Tour. I have always loved sport as my dad played cricket and squash, i got into sport at a really early age. I started playing tennis at 4 years old and won a number of Welsh titles by the age of 13, Ithen started taking an interest in golf as my dad played. I was playing county golf by the age of 14 then international golf at 15. I have represented Wales and Great Britain.

What barriers have you faced, either on a personal or professional level?
My Parents wanted me to get a proper profession like a doctor, accountant or barrister, but I have always loved sport and admired people like Tiger Woods, Annika Sorenstam and the Williams sisters. My Dads family especially wanted me to get a proper profession like most Asian families, they didn't agree with having golf as a profession.

What achievements are you most proud of?
Came 2nd in European Nations cup, won the Welsh Championship, Represented Wales and Great Britain a number of times and represented Wales in the World Cup 2006 and 2008.
What is your success due to?
Hard work and support from my family.
What role has Islam, if any, played in your life?
To be kind to others and be a nice human being.
Who was your role model and what impact or influence have they had on your life?
My Father, and he still is.
Do you have any hobbies or interests?
Still love playing tennis for fun and fitness, all sports, love going to the gym shopping, RnB/ hip hop music, movies bollywood and hollywood, spending time with friends and family.
What further aspiration do you have?
Not to just be the best in this country but to be the best in the world and i'd love to see more asian and ethnic children to take interest in sport particularly golf.

What words of wisdom or advice would you give to Muslim women in Britain today?
Just follow your dreams and try to be a good human being and let Allah be the judge not other people.
Source: http://www.bigsister.org.uk/roleModelDetail.php?rolemodel=52