8/1/12

Olympics 2012: Pregnant Malaysian misses out on rifle shooting final

Eight-months pregnant Malaysian athlete Nur Suryani Mohamad Taibi has failed to make it to the Olympic 10m air rifle shooting final.
Suryani, 29, who is 33 weeks pregnant and is due to give birth on 13 September, finished in 34th position out of 56 competitors.
"When she kicks I breathe in and out and then continue," The BBC quoted Nur Suryani, as saying. When asked what she said to her daughter, who will be named Dayana Widyan, she said:, "Behave yourself, be calm, don't move so much. She always listened to me.
Suryani, who won a shooting gold at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, and needed special permission to fly to London for the Games because she is so heavily pregnant, will be returning to Malaysia on 31 July.
However, despite her defeat, she described competing at the Royal Artillery Barracks as a dream come true and said she would carry on shooting after the birth.
"I will still carry on because this is already my life. What I've heard is that a mother after delivery has fresh blood so they can perform better, I believe. That's the luck of being a woman," she said.